Meet Kathy and her Family...
Zack Medina---------------Age: 13
Kathy is married to Glen, her husband of 20 years, and has 3 children Jake, Zack and Lexi.
After working in the Insurance industry for many years, she decided to stay at home to look after her children and homeschool Zack, who had Autism.
Zack has many global delays in speech and social areas, which can be very challenging on a day to day basis, but his quality of life has been greatly
improved by a special diet and Chelation.
(Chelation is the use of drugs to remove metals from the body. Some doctors and specialists believe that Thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative for
vaccines, is responsible for the onset of Autism in children. They hope that by removing mercury from the childs body, that it will start reversing
the harmful effects of the metal.)
Although having a child with Autism can affect your relationship with your partner and the rest of your family, Kathy has learnt to be more patient,
less judgmental and never to give up. You love unconditionally, to know when to walk away, to expect the unexpected, to take chances and pray more
effectively and fervently.
Like all parents we have hopes and dreams for our children.
Kathy hopes that one day Zack will be able to talk, hold down a job, find his purpose and even overcome Autism completely. That he will have his own
What is Autism?
Autism is defined by the Autism Society Of America (ASA) as: "Autism is a complex developmental disability that typically appears during the first
three years of life and is the result of a neurological disorder that affects the normal functioning of the brain, impacting development in the areas
of social interaction and communication skills. Both children and adults with autism typically show difficulties in verbal and non-verbal communication,
social interactions, and leisure or play activities.
Characteristics of Autism:
The most visibly noticeable characteristic of Autism is the lack of communication and speech delays, and they typically present themselves between
the ages of 2 and 6 years.
The most common signs of Autism in children under 2years of age:
- As a baby autistic children dont gurgle or make any sounds.
- There is no pointing or gesturing.
- The child does not say single words and as they get older they cannot put two words together.
- Has lost social skills and language abilities.
Other characteristics include:
For more information on Autism, you can visit Kathy at
Finding God In Autism Finding God in Autism.
- Children have no fear of danger.
- They are either over or under sensitive to pain.
- They avoid eye contact.
- Children usually prefer being by themselves.
- There is a noticeable difficulty in expressing what they want.
- May copy words or phrases.
- They may develop inappropriate attachment to objects.
- Some children tend to spin themselves or objects.
- Repetitive play
- They thrive on
and things always being done the same way.
- Some children laugh when its not appropriate to the situation.
for no apparent reason.
- They may avoid being cuddled.
- They may injure themselves when upset.
- There is a noticeable difficulty in interacting with others.
Return from Medina Family back to Homepage
Return from Medina Family back to Family Focus